One highlight of the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association Convention this year was hearing Indianapolis Colts Coach, Jim Caldwell’s talk on the Six Pillars of Leadership.
I’ve outlined each point and one key quote/takeaway from what he shared:
1. Competency: According to bestselling author, Malcolm Gladwell, it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert at anything. And it usually takes 10 years to accumulate those hours.
2. Humility: Draws people in and makes them feel closer to you. Learn to exalt others without inflating them and humble others without debasing them.
3. Authenticity: Be comfortable in your own shoes and do what you do best. Great thoughts on this by Ruth Simmons, President of Brown University.
4. Motivation: Be careful how you think because your life is shaped by your thoughts.
5. Passion: Passionate teams have great morale.
6. Service: Ask “what can I do to make you better?” Serve the community.